Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Even Polers Have Gripes...


Ehhhh so I am still poling and have sacrificed something I hold near and dear to my heart... I even PRIDE myself on having a lovely, soft pair of hands... BUT NO MORE says the pole. lol I HATE HATE HATE the calloused hands part and I am PRAYING that it gets better with time. Please someone say it's  going to get better... Pretty please.. i'll buy you some Coldstone ice cream. *smh* wink
Either way, my true gripe is here; the other day I had a class in which had anyone else not shown up it would have pretty much been a private session. However, someone did show up- a chick that had fell off the pole the previous Saturday because she was in a beginner/intermediate transitioning class and has practically NEVER taken more than 2 classes but told the instructor she was intermediate level. So before class even starts this girl out the gate is complaining to the instructor about how much her back hurts, and my thoughts were "if my back was hurting that damn bad- I wouldn't bring my butt into a class again until it let up or I went to see a doctor"... BUT the instructor gave her a brief fill-in on the normal pains for the people who just started poling, and also informed her that she knows her body best and should know if something is truly wrong. pumpkin
So instead of playing it smart- she decides she wants to stick around and now we have to take it 10 notches down based on this girl is hurting and also has NO CLUE of how to execute anything. Through the whole class she's continually whining about her arm, which is related to her back and on top of this- knowing none of the moves... And I quote, "can you show me how to do that again?"      >:o/
Now, I ain't gonna lie... I was hella irritated because I don't pay for "unlimited classes" to have someone who needs to be in an INTRO class to show up and slow down a whole session. Yes, we've all been out of place and/or not up to par, but you know as a beginner you're not ready for ADVANCED tricks... I have even seen some of the people who skip intro and come straight into beginners go back and take intro's so they can get a good grasp on what they'll be doing and I can respect that. I took intro classes because didn't want to be "that girl" who just couldn't keep up in a "beginners" class and that is why I took a few intros before moving up. Hell- the studio offers an INTRO Package CHEAP!!! (4 intro classes with shoes) just so you ARE familiar with the basic moves before moving up to full-on beginner level. 
I honestly felt VERY cheated out of a poling session. I felt someone should have been dismissed & compensated in some shape or form. If I was the instructor she would have been sent home on account of 2 factors. First, you sound like you are either in too much pain to fully participate or you've been injured. Meaning, you're not in optimal condition to be swinging off a pole- no matter how bad you want to learn. You should go home and rest up your pains and/or go see a doctor. Secondly, after seeing how badly she bombed on the most basic spins in the first 10 minutes of actually poling (and I'm not talking about "oh we're trying to learn" bombing) I mean damn near falling off the pole hurting herself worse- bombing. Unsure of foot placement etc...should have been referred to an intro class. This could have played out 2 ways in my mind...
If I was an instructor I would have said to her, "You seem to be in a bit of pain so I am going to suggest you schedule class at a later time when your back is better or you've have seen a doctor to ensure all is okay. I am also seeing that you're struggling with the basic concepts of how to execute these moves, so we will finish up this session, but I would recommend you take at least 2 or 3 intro to pole classes. I  am suggesting this because they are more broken down and you'll be able to get a better understanding on how these moves are accomplished. You'll also be more prepared and able to keep up when you come to the next beginners class."
Second scenario:  Being that I had to almost stand around while she went through intro type explanations with this girl... The least the instructor could have let me do- based on the majority of time was spent showing 'the basics' to the other girl... was say if there was an opening for the next pole class- stick around and take that one instead. 
YEAH YEAH YEAH we were all complete "pole virgins" once, but I paid my dues in intro-  I'm not saying I'm better than or looking down on the girl, but my time and money are not on the list of thing I like to waste... You don't just jump in the deep end of the pool not knowing how to swim; that's all I'm sayin'.  confused

No comments: