Monday, April 25, 2011

The Beauty & Challenges of Plus-Sized Poling...

Okay so i am a bit over 200 lbs... carried very well in my humble opinion, but of course with being plus sized comes beauty and challenges. Though poling as an art wows me regardless I must be honest when i say a woman swinging 170+ and is not 5'10+ around a pole is something that REALLY amazes me. First, the strength required to perform the moves is for the most part doubled and the determination/will to WANT to and do it is immeasurable. I'm not saying slim chicks have it all easy because just like dancing some people do have 2 left feet no matter what... but determination is what makes learning doable. Hey- Janet Jackson was once the stiffest dancer you could think of. LOL This particular sport/art is something that carries it challenges for us larger ladies simply because of larger/chunkier/bigger/ meatier anatomy... I prefer to call it fluffy. :o)

Either way- here is some of the challenges/accomplishments I've dealt with & seen myself being a plus sized poler...

1. The period where it seems like you just cannot do anything that required upper-body/core strength. I still have those moments, but I just keep in the back of my head.. I just can't do it YET... I will though.

2. Spins that do not last long at all... seems like you just stepped and jumped... lol

3. That first time learning the "basic" climb and just staring at the pole like..."how am i gonna get 'this" up there??? o_O *lol* Then attempting it only to basically just step up and get right back down...

4. Being the ONLY plus sized poler in class and feeling left out because I couldn't do "that spin" because it required some arm strength I just DIDN'T have (yet) to get this body around the pole...

5. My arch nemesis spin conquered 2 months down the road... After seemingly everyone else got it on their first try. Damn you chair spin... Damn you. O_o

6. Trying to perform a climb and "sitting lady".. Ummm yeah my thighs are a little big.. I'm having a hard time crossing my legs here *LOL*... I can now though...

7. Doing a figure 4 leg hold and leaning back thinking 'Oh hell yeah'.. I GOT THIS.

So today was one of those accomplishment days... A damn good practice if I say so myself. I got to "show" a fellow plus sized poler- hey we can do this too... I saw the very same look of "I don't know if I can do this"  on her face I once had... So I showed her how to do a move she was struggling with (she's completely new to poling) I gave quick and basic explanation- It's just going to take a little more work, building strength, but you WILL get it. as long as you keep at it.
I also was able to climb the pole to the top a few times with out last 5 minutes of "dowatchalike" time and it was kinda nice for a change to just DO IT. Regardless of weight.. it was pure practice- gaining in strength- and determination... If you want to learn it, you'll learn it. No matter what your size.. Just keep at it. 

No comments: