Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Constructive Criticism...

ou know what worked my little nerve? People who ask for feedback, and when they get it- they get all pissy about it. There is a difference between negative feedback, positive feedback and constructive criticism. I'm going to need people to understand the difference in all of them, and ALSO understand that each and every last one of them are OPINIONS.  You see some retard on facebook posted a video of some broad singing a Jazmine Sullivan song- the 'i'm in love with another man' one... and asked for feedback. Now- upon listening in I immediately thought ok are YOU going to sing it.. or are you going to just copy everything Jaz did? Why I said this- was because there was no variation of melody, no uniqueness to the song- long story short Though she had a nice voice, the chick did not make that song her own.  So I said in so many words.. "nice copy voice- I'd like to hear your own voice, and flavor of sound opposed to Jaz's. Like ummm Skye townsend, that 16 year old can BLOW... It is your job to make that song your own" So of course a few hours later- she responds on some shit like.. 'Thanks for the compliment! but it's haters like you that'll get me to the top." I about died laughing my ass off like ok.. check time because apparently she didn't know who was on the flip side. First I asked how old was she? because the word 'hater' is so 1997. I then commenced to let her know that " I said you had a nice voice, hating would have been me saying you couldn't sing-which I did not. Then again I could have also told you that you sound like every other singer trying to get a deal out there- mediocre. Either way what I gave you was some pointers on singing a song that belongs to someone else. I heard no variation so I said you sound like you are imitating rather than singing. If you don't want the comments- don't post videos. There are a million singers out there boo, and the problem with "artists" today is they think they are good enough- yeah amongst the likes of Ashanti, Ciara, and whatever other flash in the pan artists are out there today. You want to REMAIN in the industry. An artist that is going to go somewhere is going to take all comments whether they are good or bad and use them for what they are worth- to better themselves. Since apparently you didn't get what I was saying let me translate: You sound nice, you just need to work on your own STYLE. What your assignment for today is, is to look up what constructive criticism means. Be blessed and good luck in your musical career."  Cuz with all that attitude- she gonna need more than luck. people are fucking idiots. Just for that- she gets the big 'W'... I promise you she won't get a deal until she accepts how to take the bad with the good and differentiate what she NEEDS to do versus someone just clowning. So if ya'll see a Tanisha Williams- please remind me to update my post and put a "foot in mouth" picture up here; I highly doubt that'll happen tho'. HOLLA.


2 comments:

AndreaM said...

I blame reality TV for all this madness. For some reason everybody thinks that everybody else A) wants to see/hear/know them and B) that, upon exposure, we owe them only praise & adoration.

GTFOH! If you ask me a question I don't understand why I'm the unreasonable one for answering you.

Nikki said...

Somebody (friends have a tendency to do this) probably pumped her head up into thinking she was hot shyt like her name was "beyonce" or something. Ain't nothing wrong with having talent- it's when that talent has no growth and you feel you can't improve, or plain ain't receptive to any criticism that comes your way- you are headed for failure. She reacted like a typical American idol contestant that got SHUT DOWN. Got angry and vowed to be on top; now u see how Jennifer Hudson did it? Smiled, took what comments were made, and did BEYOND what they thought she could. She ain't call Simon a hater...lol. Point is lil miss sunshine williams feelings was hurt because she swore to jeebus she was that hot, and like I said sounded like anybody else out there trying to get a deal. Nice voice, but UNORIGINAL. Get over yourself and get some style.